Monday, September 17, 2007

In ten years time, I picture myself being one of two places in my life. I hope to be either recently finished with graduate school with a PhD in Economics, or I hope to be working with a internationally focused corporation after obtaining a MBA. Which degree I decide to pursue is going to be a choice I will have to make in the near future. If I have a doctorate, I will likely have completed several years working as a teaching assistant at my graduate school. I will hopefully have a teaching position at a quality university in the economics department. Professionally my goals are still a bit vague, because my experiences in the next two years, and in my subsequent graduate program will greatly hone my focus.

Personally, I hope to be married, probably with children. I hope to start a family, although not a large one. I also hope to be living somewhere as beautiful as Clemson. I feel that speculating on one's future, especially ten years ahead, is difficult to do. Ten years ago I was about to start middle school with no inkling of college plans. So much can change in 10 years, having a rough idea of where I would like to be in the future is more than adequate for me. I am wary of engraving in too many details in my mind, because I have known friends who have been so set on a certain career or personal life path that they have been rigidly inflexible and unable to cope with change. My immediate focus for the future is enjoying, and succeeding in my final two years at Clemson, and being accepted into a graduate program where I am happy. Everything beyond that, I will address when the time is right. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you're wise to keep everything very general until you reach graduate school. It can completely change your outlook on your career... or, as in my case, it can confirm exactly what you should be doing. Best of luck to you as you find that perfect graduate program!