Monday, September 24, 2007

Resume Articles

I was very interested in this article regarding tips for your resume when you have had only one serious past employer. I have worked several positions within the Clemson University housing staff, and the article had some good ideas how to separate and differentiate the various positions, and skill sets that they involved. I have had some ideas of ways I can change my resume to reflect the different positions I have filled. I think out of all the articles I glanced over, this one was the most relevant to my personal experience, and my future job searches. There were really no ethical issues discussed in the article, unlike this one, where the pitfalls of being sneaky on your resume are elaborated. Before the era of digital referencing and ability to browse through a candidates background history thoroughly, resume exaggerating tactics were widely used, today however, they are equally likely to cause your resume to be discounted immediately. While some tactics are not morally questionable, they do still exaggerate credentials. One such tactic, was listing well known companies in your resume which are "similar" to ones where you have worked in the past. In one example, a CNET employee listed Google on his resume as one such company, and added it as a keyword when searching his resume, this generated far more inquiries then he might have received otherwise. I thought this online list of articles regarding resume tactics was very interesting to browse, and it mentioned several application strategies that seem viable, that I had never considered.

No comments: